Fire destroys Jordan home

0
826

A Jordan home in the 700 block of Leon Street was destroyed by a fire that started with a turkey smoker Saturday afternoon.

Jordan Fire Chief Gregg Pekarna said the fire was reported at about 3:40 p.m. Saturday after the homeowners were smoking a turkey and heard something “pop” inside and the house started on fire. He wasn’t sure if it was a grease fire or what, but the fire went up the side of the home.

His assistant chief was first to arrive, and Pekarna was second, and by that time “It was already coming up the roof.”
“The whole back side of the house is gone,” he said. “There’s no roof left.”

The fire quickly traveled up the vinyl siding and into the attic, Pekarna said.

“It burned its way into the house,” he said. “There’s nothing left inside.”

Three people and a dog escaped the fire unharmed, he said. The house was a total loss, with everything inside damaged by fire, he said. A neighboring home’s siding was melted by the fire, too.

New Prague and Belle Plaine firefighters helped put out the fire, as the homeowners stood watching in a garage across the street. Firefighters carried out a few personal items to them once the fire was out.

The homeowners declined to comment, and Pekarna declined to release their names

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here