Roof collapses at Super 8 in Shakopee



The roof over the swimming pool in the Super 8 in Shakopee collapsed tonight, and the hotel was evacuated.

Shakopee Police Sgt. Josh Davis said the call came in at about 6:40 p.m. that the roof over the pool collapsed. He said a portion of a wall was bowed and a chunk of the roof fell into the pool, but “It’s not a massive, massive collapse.”

He said nobody was hurt because nobody was in the pool, which he was told was closed for repairs at the time.

“We’re not certain on this, but it sounds like they had people working on the ceiling in the pool area,” he said. “There was some type of roof problem.”

He said the hotel was evacuated of guests — who were asked to wait in their vehicles while emergency crews responded —  and closed for the night, as utility workers shut power down in areas. Emergency crews were concerned about a gas line near the area of the collapse, he said.

“All guests have found new hotels,” Davis said.

Shortly before 7 p.m., firefighters were paged for a possible gas leak. At 7 p.m., the building was evacuated as law enforcement cleared rooms and checked the scene, where the power was out, sprinklers weren’t working and they worked to get the gas shut off.

The hotel managers were asked to review their video surveillance to make sure nobody was in the pool when the roof collapsed, according to scanner traffic.

At 7:15 p.m., someone refused to leave their room, so police were called. At one point, the fire marshal was trying to explain the hotel shutdown to the front desk, as firefighters and police officers prepared to go room-to-room to evacuate the hotel and shut off power.

Police worked with guests to get vouchers to stay elsewhere.

A front desk clerk reached by phone refused to comment.

Shakopee Public Utilities Commission and CenterPoint Energy workers arrived by 7:44 p.m. and were working to shut down utilities.

Anthony John Floer lives in the Whispering Heights Apartments, which overlook the hotel. He called 911 and told dispatch the roof collapsed after hearing it through his closed patio door.

“It sounded like a car crash,” he said. “I was praying and hoping there was no one in there.”

John Floer and another neighbor said a crew was out earlier in the day removing ice dams from the edge of the pool roof.

The hotel was fully evacuated by 8 p.m., and no re-entry was being allowed for the rest of the night.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here